Tuesday, October 22, 2019 | 5-6 pm | Roski Dining, UHall
Join employers, MBA alumni, and fellow students to learn more about the variety of exciting career opportunities available with your business degree.
- Where: Roski Dining, University Hall
- When: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 5pm
- Who: Open to all CBA graduate students
- What: Hors d’oeuvres and refreshments provided
- Cost: Free to students and alumni
Who will be there?
Employer recruiters, accomplished alumni, Career and Professional Development staff, and CBA graduate students like you who are interested in meeting successful professionals in various areas of business.
Employer Recruiters include:
AT&T, Disney, Kaiser Permanente, Morgan Stanley, Penske Media Group, MOOG
Why should I attend?
- Meet and connect with employer recruiters and LMU alumni working in finance, marketing, management, etc.
- Discover the career paths that business professionals have taken after graduating from LMU.
- Network with employers to follow up on opportunities, and hear advice on next steps.
- Expand your network and meet other CBA graduate students.
How should I dress?
Business casual to business professional attire is recommended for this event.
Know who’s in the room
- Review the list of alumni and recruiters located inside your folder and strategize who you would like to meet.
- Set a goal (“I want to speak with a recruiter to gain information about MBA internship opportunities” or “I plan to speak with four alumni to grow my network as I apply for full-time MBA jobs”).
- Start circulating by walking up to an alum or recruiter to introduce yourself.
- Leave your top alumni and recruiters as your last conversations as you strengthen your networking skills.
Deliver your pitch
- Be confident as you walk up to alumni and recruiters and introduce yourself by first and last name.
- Lead with a firm handshake, eye contact and smile followed by “nice to meet you.”
- Share your MBA concentration, prior experience and career objective (“My goal is to work as a product manager at a consumer electronics company.”).
- Build rapport through questions and commonalities (“I see that your MBA concentration was finance, which is also what I am studying. What skills did this concentration give you that you use in your current role?”).
Listen more than you speak
- Engage in a conversation and allow for give and take. Ask questions and be curious.
- Recognize who is in your conversation circle, extend a handshake and introduction to all.
- Create space for others to join the conversation and ask questions.
- Listen intently to remember key points from your conversation to include when you follow-up.
- Take notes throughout the evening for future reflection and follow-up.
- What did you do during the first year of your MBA program or summer break that prepared you for your current role?
- What recommendations do you have for gaining experience or knowledge of your industry?
- Can you describe the culture at (company name)?
- What types of skills are needed for someone to be successful in your role?
- May I follow-up with you after tonight to discuss your position and company?
- Which industry publications do you read? Who are the industry influencers you follow? Which professional affiliations or groups do you belong to?
Move along to build another connection or two
- Ask if you can follow-up with questions or to potentially meet for an informational interview.
- Thank the alumni and recruiters for their time and advice before excusing yourself.
- Move on to the next alumni or recruiter, working your way up to your ideal alumni or recruiter conversation.
- Recognize that the staff, faculty and students in the room are also part of your network.
Take the next step
- Follow-up 24 hours after the event by email or LinkedIn (ask the alum or recruiter's preference).
- Include a highlight from your conversation to remind the alumni or recruiters of who you are.
- Build a relationship by requesting an informational interview with alum or recruiter.
- Schedule an appointment with a CPD Career Coach via Handshake to gain support on next steps (i.e. updating your LinkedIn profile, practicing interviewing or crafting follow-up communication).
MBA LinkedIn Workshops
Over 50,000 LMU alumni are on LinkedIn. Tap into your alumni network and beyond using this powerful search tool. These sessions will be aimed at helping CBA graduate students, including MBA students, prepare for the MBA Happy Hour and subsequent career development programming.
Contact Angelina Lee at email@example.com.