A retreat for Sophomore and Transfer students
What is your calling?
The word “vocaré” is derived from Latin, meaning “to call.”
Friday, October 12 - Saturday, October 13, 2018 | Camp Alonim in Simi Valley, CA
(Buses will depart campus at 2 p.m. on Friday, returning by 8:30 p.m. on Saturday)
Registration for the fall retreat has now closed. Save the date and join us in spring: February 15-16, 2019 at American Jewish University in Bel Air. Registration will open in January.
What is the VOCARÉ Retreat?
VOCARÉ is a unique opportunity for LMU sophomores and transfer students to step away from campus to reflect on where they have been, who they are, and where they are going within a supportive community of fellow students, staff, faculty, and alumni. It’s fun, completely free, and includes the following components:
- Short talks from student leaders, staff, and faculty
- Small group conversation facilitated by student leaders
- Young alumni panel and lunch conversation
- Time to strengthen connections with other students and reflect on your own life
- Lodging will be provided in camper cabins (8 bunks/cabin) at Camp Alonim in Simi Valley. Transportation will be provided in charter buses.
- Register via Handshake. Registration deadline is September 28, 2018.
- Cost: Free – Funded by Career and Professional Development, in partnership with Campus Ministry
What if I Cannot Attend the Retreat?
The VOCARÉ Retreat is not the only opportunity for sophomores and transfer students to explore these topics. CPD staff are eager to help all students reflect on their values, interests and skills; discern their vocations and explore career options. If you would like to meet with a staff member, please log in to Handshake, click on the "Appointments" tab then “Schedule a New Appointment.”
Why Should I Attend?
A chance for you to explore…
- your reflections on the first two years of college
- the values, relationships, issues, and interests that are important to you
- your sense of purpose or vocation and where you are going with your life
A chance for you to meaningfully connect with…
- fellow sophomores and transfer students
- juniors and seniors serving as group leaders
- faculty and staff members
- young alumni
A chance for you to learn about…
- how to become a more reflective student
- how to make decisions that align with your values and interests
- how to make the most of your last two years at LMU and beyond
A chance to take away…
- insights into your values, interests, and goals
- a stronger sense of purpose
- a foundation of knowledge and resources for future vocational and career exploration
What Students are Saying
“I had no idea I would come back from the VOCARÉ Retreat with so many valuable resources and insights regarding my career.”
~ Ana Macaspac, '18 | Participant
Major: Graphic Design; Minor: Art History