Career and Professional Development has a wealth of resources for international students to explore majors and careers, learn about the job market both in the U.S and abroad, develop effective job search tools (networking, resume, cover letter, interviewing) and graduate school preparation.
Request a 30 minute coaching appointment through Handshake by requesting a CPD coaching appointment under "Shortcuts."
Angelina Lee, the Career Coach for International Students, is available to assist in areas of career exploration, job/internship search and graduate school preparation. International students also have the option of meeting with a Career Coach assigned to their College/Major or Career Interest Area.
Drop in to virtual Peer Advising Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. for a 15-minute conversation with a trained CPD Peer Advisor on topics such as internships, job searches, resumes, cover letters, CPD Events, and more. Meet our International Peer Advising Specialist.
- I do not know where to start…
- I want to work on campus…
- I want to do an internship while I am studying at LMU…
- I want to work in the US after I graduate…
- I want to make sure I know what US employers expect from me…
- I want to know more about graduate school…
- Myvisajobs.com - search the top 1000 H1B Visa and Green Card sponsors
- Search H1B Sponsoring Organizations - search past H1B sponsor companies by location and job title
- The U.S. Job Search for International Students - University of Pennsylvania’s job search strategies for international student, and employers who have hired international students from U Penn
- CPD Website - find information regarding Internships, Long-term Employment, U.S. Corporate Culture, Networking and more
- All employment MUST be authorized by OISS
- International students are immediately eligible for on-campus work (T-Work)
- International students MUST be in legal F-1 status for one full academic year before eligible for off-campus work authorization
- Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)- Paid internship in F-1 student’s field of study
- Students engaged in CPT MUST be enrolled in an internship course
- CPT is employer specific and MUST be authorized on a student’s I-20 BEFORE they start working
- CPT does not affect Optional Practical Training (OPT) unless fulltime for 12 months
- ALL F-1 students are eligible for OPT - MUST be authorized by Department of Homeland Security (Usually takes 90+ days)
- Once approved, student must be employed within 90 days of the OPT start date