Wednesday, November 15 | 7-9 p.m. | Roski Dining, University Hall
Join LMU alumni from the College of Business, Dean Dennis Draper, and fellow students to learn more about the variety of exciting career opportunities available with your business degree.
- Where: Roski Dining, University Hall
- When: Wednesday, November 15, 2017; Event begins at 7pm
- Who: Open to all class levels
- What: Hors d’oeuvres and refreshments provided
- Cost: Free to students and alumni
Who will be there?
Accomplished alumni, CPD career coaches, and students like you who are interested to hear from successful professionals in all areas of business.
Why should I attend?
- Meet and connect with LMU alumni working in finance, accounting, marketing, management, information management systems, and entrepreneurship
- Discover the career paths that business professionals have taken after graduating from LMU
- Practice informational interviewing and hear advice from helpful LMU alumni
- Expand your network and meet other students in the College of Business
How should I dress?
Business professional attire is recommended for this event. No blue jeans!
Know who’s in the room
- Review the list of alumni located inside your folder and strategize who you would like to meet
- Set a goal (“I want to gain information about career opportunities that come with a degree from CBA” or “I plan to speak with four alumni to grow my network as I apply for internships”)
- Start circulating by walking up to an alum to introduce yourself
- Leave your top alum as your last conversation as you strengthen your networking skills
Deliver your pitch
- Be confident as you walk up to an alum and introduce yourself by first and last name
- Lead with a firm handshake, eye contact and smile followed by “nice to meet you”
- Share your class year, major and objective (“My goal is to work on the business side for a studio”)
- Build rapport through questions and commonalities (“I see that you were an AIMS major. I’m a AIMS major. What student projects did you work on at LMU?”)
Listen more than you speak
- Engage in a conversation and allow for give and take. Ask questions and be curious.
- Recognize who is in your conversation circle, extend a handshake and introduction to all
- Create space for others to join the conversation and ask questions
- Listen intently to remember key points from your conversation to include when you follow-up
- Take notes throughout the evening for future reflection and follow-up
- What did you do during your time at LMU that prepared you for your career?
- What recommendations do you have for gaining experience or knowledge of your industry?
- Can you describe the culture at (company name)?
- What types of skills are needed for someone to be successful in your role?
- May I follow-up with you after tonight to discuss your position and company?
- Which industry publications do you read? Who are the industry influencers you follow? Which professional affiliations or groups do you belong to?
Move along to build another connection or two
- Ask if you can follow-up with questions or to potentially meet for an informational interview
- Thank the alum for his/her time and advice before excusing yourself
- Move on to the next alum speaker working your way up to your ideal alum conversation
- Recognize that the staff, faculty and students in the room are also part of your network
Take the next step
- Follow-up 24-48 hours after the event by email or LinkedIn (ask the alum’s preference)
- Include a highlight from your conversation to remind the alum of who you are
- Build a relationship by requesting an informational interview with alum
- Schedule an appointment with a CPD Career Coach via Handshake to gain support on next steps (i.e. updating your LinkedIn profile, practicing interviewing or crafting follow-up communication)
Alumni Steering Committee
Gail Bernstein ’73
PNC Financial Services Group
Alice Cotti ’95
Prudential Financial, Inc.
Krista Del Colliano ’00, ’05
Fox Film, TV, and Sports
Scott Dunfrund ’74
Scott Enright ’91
Cherrytree Music Company
Peter Harper ’92
Rich Lang ’91
The Capital Group
Ian Maxwell ’14