Academic Credit & Internships

All students at Loyola Marymount University are encouraged to make internships an integral component of their experience. Internships may be completed within all colleges and schools and are offered for all areas of concentration. They are available at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

LMU recognizes two types of internships; both can be paid or unpaid, depending on the intern’s arrangement with their internship site:

  1. For-Credit Internships are internships that are completed for academic credit. Students seeking to complete an internship for credit can do so one of two ways:
    • Students may enroll in a for-credit, 0-3 unit internship course within their academic school or department listed in the University bulletin;
      • Chat with your academic advisor to identify the best course option for your experience and available units
      • There are college-based 2100 internship courses available for 0-1 unit, for Credit/No-Credit, led by CPD
    • If no course is available that aligns with your experience needs, students may be able to independently negotiate the scope of and number of credits to be earned with their college Dean as an independent study course.
    • LMU students must be enrolled full-time (a minimum of 12 units per term) for the preceding fall and spring semesters in order to be eligible for a zero-unit summer internship course in the following summer.
    • Enrollment in a zero-unit internship course during the fall or spring semesters is only available to students who are enrolled full-time during those terms. Part-time students are permitted to enroll in a one-unit internship course.
    • International students must be in valid F-1 status for at least 9 months (2 academic semesters) to be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), which is required for all international students pursuing an internship.
  2. Not-For-Credit Internships are internships that enhance the student’s academic or career development but do not offer academic credit. Students can register their internship in Handshake Experiences, using the “General Internship” template for the current academic semester.

Internship supervisors may request proof of enrollment in a for-credit internship course before the start of an internship. Students may request verification by submitting the Internship Credit Form to the Office of the Registrar.