All students at Loyola Marymount University are encouraged to make internships an integral component of their experience. Internships may be completed within all colleges and schools and are offered for all areas of concentration. They are available at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
LMU recognizes two types of internships; both can be paid or unpaid, depending on the intern’s arrangement with their internship site:
- For-Credit Internships are internships that are completed for academic credit. Students seeking to complete an internship for credit can do so one of three ways:
- Students may enroll in a for-credit internship course within their academic school or department listed in the University bulletin;
- If their academic department does not offer an internship course, students wishing to earn credit for their internships may do so by enrolling in a 0- to 3-credit LIBA course. To determine what LIBA courses are available, please consult the class schedule via PROWL;
- If no course is available of any kind, students may be able to independently negotiate the scope of and number of credits to be earned with their college Dean as an independent study course;
- Not-For-Credit Internships are internships that enhance the student’s academic or career development but do not offer academic credit.
Internship supervisors may request proof of enrollment in a for-credit internship course before the start of an internship. Students may request verification by submitting the Internship Credit Confirmation Form to the Office of the Registrar.