Academic Internship Courses
To learn which internship courses are being offered currently and in the future, please consult the Schedule of Classes updated by the Office of the Registrar.
Registration: Academic internship courses are currently available for registration via PROWL. CPD follows the university registration deadlines and policies, however will no longer accept new students after the below listed deadlines:
|Fall 2019||August 30th|
|Spring 2020||January 17th|
|Summer Session I||May 22nd|
|Summer Session II||July 6th|
Where Do I Begin?
Are you seeking an internship opportunity?
Check out multiple job boards - like Handshake and LinkedIn, attend the Career Expo and connect with recruiters, as well as reaching out to your alumni and professional networks with your industry interests. Visit the CPD website for additional, industry-specific job boards. Drop-in to meet with a Peer Advisor, or book an appointment today with your career coach to learn more and strategize.
Do you already have an internship?
Congratulations! If it is a for-credit internsihp, enroll in an academic internship course to receive academic credit. If it is a not-for-credit internship, you should register the opportunity in Handshake as a "General Experience" for the semester.
How do I register for internship courses?
- ENROLL in an internship course;
- Speak with your academic advisor to confirm which academic internship course is best for your experience
- Log in to PROWL to Enroll in a course through your academic program witin the registration deadline
- If enrolling after the deadline, fully complete the Office of the Registrar's Late Add Petition Form (PDF) in hard copy and seek approval from the course instructor via signature
- REQUEST an Experience form on Handshake
- Log in to mylmu.edu > Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request An Experience
- Select correct template and term for academic course
Course Instructor: CPD Assistant Director facilitating class instruction
Academic Mentor: Designated by college Dean to support students in building (1) academic-based learning objective
- Internship Supervisor: Full-time staff at internship site who will supervise student throughout the experience, and support students in building 1-2 industry/skill-based learning objectives
- SUBMIT an Internship Credit form if employer requires verification of your ability to earn academic credit/enrollment in a course. The Internship Credit form is availabe on the Registrar's website, where a confirmation of student's enrollment status and course will be issued on university letterhead.
- WAIT for further instruction from your Course Instructor at the beginning of the semester.
What courses are available for academic internship credit?
Courses offered through CPD - FALL 2019
Name CRN Course Instructor Academic Mentor IBCLA 2100 - BCLA Internships 44862 Elizabeth Connolly Elizabeth Connolly ICBA 2100 - CBA Internships 44864 Angelina Lee Angelina Lee ICFA 2100 - CFA Internships 44863 Marcy Newman Elaine Walker ICSE 2100 - FSCSE Internships 45049 Gregory James TBD IFTV 2100 - SFTV Internships 45047 Elena Muslar TBD ISOE 2100 - SOE Internships 45048 Hannah Bateman TBD
Course Instructor: CPD Assistant Director facilitating class instruction
Additional LMU academic internship courses
CMST 3820 Communication Practicum
HHSC 495/497 Allied Health Internship
CLAR 4280 Greek Film Festival Internship
POLS 3800 Political Internship
IDAP 380 Public Relations Internship
Log in to PROWL to see a full list of academic internship courses, offering 0-4 units.
How do I report my internship that is not part of an academic course?
Login to Handshake, select "Career Center" and "Experiences." Choose to "Request An Experience", the "General Experience" template, and complete the form with all information about your internship and supervisor.
Creating this form adds the experience to your Handshake profile for recruiters and peers to view. Your supervisor will receive an approval email for the experience directly from Handshake.
LMU Housing requires that students wishing to secure on-campus summer housing be enrolled in a course. Academic internship courses fulfill this requirement, therefore a student must at least be enrolled in an academic internship course to stay in campus housing, with a confirmed internship experience.
Handshake, Indeed, LinkedIn, or personal network are just a few ways to identify potential internship opportunities. Plan to attend CPD fall or spring Expo, and networking events to connect with alumni. Drop in to CPD to chat with a Peer Advisor, or book and appointment with a career coach to strategize and apply.
Internship structures and roles differ, however, students should seek an internship:
- which is related to their long-term career goals
- which develops industry and professional skills
- which is compliant with DOL Standards
- which is not located in a home-based business
- which does not offer 100% of work done virtually with little to no supervision
- which offers orientation or training prior to the start date and throughout the experience
- which provides frequent and direct, 1:1 supervision
- which does not require cold-calling or petition gathering (unless a political or campaign office)
- which is not supervised by a family member of classmate
- which does not require student to pay a fee to the company to participate in the experience
- which is not commission-based or telemarketing
Which academic internship course should I choose, and when should I enroll?
What happened to the LIBA internship courses in CPD?
The CPD-led LIBA internship courses ended summer 2019, and were replaced with academic internship courses within each college at LMU. The new academic internship courses are available in PROWL, offering 0-1 units for credit/no-credit:
COURSE NO. COURSE NAME ICBA 2100 CBA Internships ICFA 2100 CFA Internships ICLA 2100 BCLA Internships ICSE 2100 FSCSE Internships IFTV 2100 SFTV Internships ISOE 2100 SOE Internships
How do I select one (1) unit for a 0-1 unit course?
Login to PROWL. While in registration mode, enroll into the course of your choosing. Once enrolled, select the "Schedule & Options" tab, highlight the "Hours" field, and edit to the desired unit (0 or 1).
What if I need more than one unit?
Consult with your academic advisor to identify the best solution or course to satisfy your academic requirements.
Can I enroll in more than one academic internship course at a time?
No. You can only enroll and earn credit for (1) internship, in (1) course at a time, during a single semester. Consult with your academic advisor to select which course is best for your internship and academic program needs.
Does the CPD academic internship course meet weekly? And will I receive a grade?
No. The CPD academic courses are virtual, with all assignments managed in the BrightSpace course and via Handshake. Students will receive credit or no-credit for completing all assignments during the semester.
How will I know if I completed all requirements for a CPD academic internship course?
Students enrolled in a CPD academic internship course must complete 60 internship hours, a Handshake Experience form and all assignments outlined in the course syllabus for credit or no-credit.
If my internship is outside of my major, can I enroll in a different colleges academic internship course?
It is best to enroll in the college academic internship course where your major/program resides (i.e. biochemistry major will enroll in ICSE 2100 FSCSE Internships). If you are a double-major, consult with your academic advisor to identify which academic internship course is best for the experience.
Please contact Erica J. Privott in the office of Career and Professional Development via email or by phone at 310.338.2871.