Monday, September 11- Friday, September 15, 2023
The Business Profession Career Week is an opportunity for students to connect with alumni and employers in the business industry. Students can explore potential career pathways, expand their network, and hear from alumni in industries such as advertising, finance, information technology, physics, engineering, and more.
Tuesday, September 12 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | St. Roberts Auditorium
Learn from top business representatives actively recruiting LMU students. Get insider tips in an interactive Q&A session and join breakout networking sessions for personalized resume feedback.
Tuesday, September 12 | 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. | Zoom
Hear from successful LMU alumni who will share their firsthand internship experiences and expert tips on landing and navigating a business-focused internship.
Wednesday, September 13 | 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. | Macintosh Room 1300
The Business Speed Interviewing Prep session is an opportunity for students to showcase their elevator pitch and practice their networking skills in preparation for the Business Profession Career Fair. This event is a partnership between CPD and LM-UMatch.
Thursday, September 14 | 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. | St. Roberts Auditorium
Get ready to supercharge your business career at the highly anticipated Business Career Fair, exclusively designed for LMU students and alumni who are passionate about pursuing a path in Business. Connect with top-notch recruiters, explore diverse job opportunities, and expand your professional network, all in one dynamic setting.
Wednesday, September 20 | 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. | Hilton Room 300
Calling all Grad Biz students! Join us for a comprehensive career readiness workshop featuring a dynamic PPT presentation by Robert Half. Gain essential insights into crafting a standout personal brand, mastering impeccable resume writing, acing interviews, and strategically evaluating company culture and fit. Elevate your professional journey with expert guidance in just one session.
Who will be there?
Accomplished alumni, CPD career coaches, employers and students like you who are interested to hear from successful professionals in all areas of business.
Why should I attend?
- Meet and connect with LMU alumni working in business fields
- Discover the career paths that business professionals have taken after graduating from LMU
- Practice informational interviewing and hear advice from helpful LMU alumni
- Expand your network and meet other students in the College of Business Administration
How should I dress?
Business casual is recommended for this event.
CPD will host all virtual events using Zoom Web Conferencing.
Zoom is a cloud-based technology offering a full spectrum of web conferencing tools to help enhance online learning and increase productivity. All LMU faculty, student, and staff can create an LMU Zoom account.
You can access Zoom Web Conferencing via web browser or download the application to a smart device. Learn how to create your Zoom Web Conferencing account.
For additional information on how to log-in to a Zoom webinar visit the Zoom Help Center Joining and participating in a webinar (attendee)
Know who’s in the room
- Review the employers and alumni and strategize who you would like to connect with after the event.
- Set a goal (“I want to gain information about career opportunities that come with a degree from CBA” or “I plan to speak with four alumni to grow my network as I apply for internships”)
Deliver your pitch
- Be confident as you begin your conversations with alumni and introduce yourself by first and last name
- Lead with eye contact and smile followed by “nice to meet you”
- Share your class year, major and objective (“My goal is to work on the business side for a studio”)
- Build rapport through questions and commonalities (“I see that you were an AIMS major. I am, too!" or "As a biology major, what student projects did you work on at LMU?”)
Listen more than you speak
- Engage in a conversation and allow for give and take. Ask questions and be curious.
- Recognize who is in your conversation circle, extend an introduction to all
- Create space for others to join the conversation and ask questions
- Listen intently to remember key points from your conversation to include when you follow-up
- Take notes throughout the event for future reflection and follow-up
- What did you do during your time at LMU that prepared you for your career?
- What recommendations do you have for gaining experience or knowledge of your industry?
- Can you describe the culture at (company name)?
- What types of skills are needed for someone to be successful in your role?
- May I follow-up with you after tonight to discuss your position and company?
- Which industry publications do you read? Who are the industry influencers you follow? Which professional affiliations or groups do you belong to?
Take the next step
- Follow-up 24-48 hours after the event by email or LinkedIn (ask the alum’s preference)
- Include a highlight from your conversation to remind the alum of who you are
- Build a relationship by requesting an informational interview with alum
- Schedule an appointment with a CPD Career Coach via Handshake to gain support on next steps (i.e. updating your LinkedIn profile, practicing interviewing or crafting follow-up communication)
Contact Naomi Shibley at email@example.com